Using an air compressor makes the job of removing golf grips a lot easier and faster. Blow short bursts on the grip of the club and tug the grift on the shaft at the same time. This should help the grip slide off quickly and this way, it is still reusable.
If the grip is worn out of simply old, it is advisable to cut it off. However, if you still intend to save and reuse the grip, then using an air compressor to blow off the grip is a better option.
Table of Contents
Steps to removing Golf grips with an air compressor
- Place your golf club in the vice. If the club has a graphite shaft, then place rubber in the vice alongside the golf club. This will prevent the shaft from getting damaged.
- Then fasten it down gently to secure the club.
- Open up the grip and move it to the butt end of the shaft.
- As soon as you are able to steady the grip tip on the shaft, hold the back of the grip. Gently hold the grip in your left hand and install the gun.
- Now, give short bursts of air with the gun to ensure the grip goes on smoothly.
- Keep pushing forward and continue blowing short bursts of air with constant pressure.
- Then confirm that your grip is positioned properly and fully seated.
Equipment to install a golf grip using an air compressor
To properly install a golf grip using an air compressor, you need all of the following equipment.
- Air compressor — To be fair, almost any air compressor will get the job done even if it has a small 1-gallon storage tank. As long as its PSI is up to 70, then the requirement is fulfilled.
- Gold specific vice — This is not exactly a requirement, neither is it compulsory. However, it makes more sense to get a vice when putting on a grip.The gold-specific vice is made with rubber, enabling you to grip the graphite lightly without breaking or damaging it.A helpful tip would be to always clamp the smallest part of the shaft first and then go up. This is because starting your grip at a higher point first can result in shaft breakage.
- Pure grips air gun attachment — While there are some other methods of gold grip installation, pure grips air gun attachment is one of the best ways to do this. It is a small attachment designed precisely for golf grip installation.
- Grips — It is advisable to use pure grips. This is because they are made out of 100% rubber. Other grips are not quite reliable and might have risks along the line.
Can I use an air compressor for golf grips?
An air compressor can be used to remove a golf grip easily. To do this, fill the inside of the shaft with short bursts of air and simultaneously tug the grift on the shaft forward and backward. This should expand the space and remove the grip quickly.
Can you remove golf grips and reuse them?
As long as the golf grips are in good condition, they can be removed and reused, although you have to be careful when taking them out to avoid damaging them.
To safely take out your golf grips without ruining them, you can blow them off with an air compressor. However, if the golf grip is worn out or just old, it is safer to just cut it off.
What type of tape do you use on golf grips?
While there are a number of views and claims on the right tape to use on golf grip, your best is to use double-sided tape.
Some people would suggest using an air compressor, others would say masking tape better.
However, you can secure your grip properly by wrapping the double-sided tape around the club and keeping the club’s metal shaft well-tacked to the club.
What is a golf grip solvent?
When installing golf grips, a grip solvent is used with the double-sided grip tape for proper installation. It is used to activate the stick tape so that it grips and slid on well enough.
Some examples of grip solvents include acetone, mineral spirits, nail polish remover, denatured alcohol, or charcoal lighter fluid.
However, alcohol and detergent solutions can’t act as grip solvents. Grips should not be cleaned by rubbing alcohol or detergents as this will damage the soft surface of the golf grips, especially if a brush is used for rubbing.
They also perform well in deactivating the grip tape in order to install new grips. You can reuse grip solvents over and over again. They also evaporate quickly when applied to the surface of the grip tape.
This allows the grip tape to stick to the grip within a short period of time, not up to an hour. This is enough time for it to grip properly.
Is a golf grip solvent flammable?
There are some volatile and flammable solvents that can work as golf grip solvents. However, they should be used in a well-ventilated area. This will help prevent inhalation injuries or fire incidents. While using them, you should also put on solvent-proof gloves to avoid touching volatile solvents.
There are also non-flammable as well as non-toxic grip solvents such as the Dynacraft golf grip solvent, which is a 32-ounce bottle bundle that comes with a trigger sprayer.
It is regarded as the safest method of stimulating solvent-based golf grip tape. It is also made with a formula that makes it a low odor golf grip solvent and is safer than other solvents that give off toxic fumes.
Can you use wd40 on golf grips?
Yes, you can use WD-40 on a golf club to clean it and protect the club. It is an all-purpose lubricant and it works well with double-sided tape. It takes out dirt and rust from head to the shaft of the club.
Simply spray the WD-40 on each of the clubs after every use. Spray a small amount on the clubhead and wipe it off with a clean rag. This is after you have done the regular cleaning, taking out all of the dirt, dust, or any other minor stain.
Also, do not leave it for too long on the golf club. WD-40 can act as a solvent in some cases and is used to take out the grip.
Can you install PURE grips with tape?
It is not advisable to use double-sided tape and solvent when installing pure grips. This is because they were designed to be installed using their proprietary Pure installation procedure. Using double-sided tape and solvent will invalidate the product warranty.
How do you clean PURE grips?
Cleaning your grips is one of the best ways to help them last a lot longer. To clean your Pure grips, simply wipe them down with a damp cloth after each use.
For any type of extra cleaning, use a mild soap and some water. Avoid harsh chemicals or detergents when cleaning your Pure grips.
Can I use carpet tapes for golf grips?
Yes, you can!
Typically, carpet tape is a bit thicker than the recommended double-sided duck tape. However, golf grip tapes can take different shapes.
You can also use masking tape but is advisable to always use double-sided tape.
To use carpet tape, first, soak it with the lighter fluid, then spritz some of the fluid into the grips and move them until the lighter fluid has saturated the inside of the grips.
How many layers of tape do you need to put on a golf grip?
On average, you need a minimum of 1 piece of double-sided grip tape to fit into the size of the grip. This implies that one layer of tape wraps the grip irrespective of the size of the grip in question.
How to use the V groove grip remover
The V groove grip remover works well for removing golf grips. The v-shapes help to create a channel to funnel solvent to the most needed parts, loosening the tape.
If you intend to remove the grip to trim the butt or extend the shaft, and you use the V groove grip remover, you can still use the grip afterward. This implies that the grip doesn’t get damaged or ruined.
To use it, fold back the lip of the grip and slip the tool underneath. Pour in a little amount of solvent as you adjust the grip, and give the solvent some time to do its work.