A welding mask cannot be used as sunglasses since it’s too dark. Therefore welders need an auto darkening sunglasses. Wearing sufficient welding safety equipment prevents damages caused to the eyes. There are beginner welders who do not know the importance of welding safety glasses. When welding, the arc produces radiation that damages the welder’s eyes. The safety sunglasses block the UV light and infrared wavelength that the arch emits.
The welding auto-darkening sunglasses come in different numbers. It is essential to ensure you select the shade number that suits your working condition. Therefore you will have an assurance of protecting your eyes from flying debris and reducing irritation. The shade number varies depending on the darkness of the lens. Thus the higher shade number suits the welding processes that produce brighter arcs.
Can you use auto-darkening sunglasses when welding?
Sunglasses are essential when you are not using the helmet. However, the risk of burning is higher compared to using a helmet and shade above number 9. They automatically darken whenever there is an arc or optical radiation from the welding sparks. The auto-darkening sunglasses contain light sensors that detect the welding arc. The glasses remain normal whenever there is no arc; hence you can easily navigate without removing the helmet.
Sunglasses without the auto-darkening feature forces you to keep going to the eye work. To avoid movements before you start the arc, you require auto-darkening sunglasses.
Benefits of wearing auto darkening welding sunglasses
- They suit MIG welding
- One can use them for general purpose stick welding
- Available in number 9 to 12
- One does not have to keep lifting the helmet hence saving time
- Allow easy viewing of the puddle
- It is not necessary to remove the helmet since it is easy to see where you are working.
Do sunglasses protect you from welding light?
Can one ever use sunglasses when welding? Do they protect your eyes? Welders do not only use safety glasses when welding but a visual barrier to prevent the light from the arch from interfering with the other people surrounding them. Sunglasses are not suitable when there is a high temperature and too much electricity.
Can you wear eye glasses when welding?
Do you use prescribed eyeglasses, and you would like to wear them welding? Several corrections can be done to the lenses when welding. Contact lenses may result in itchy eyes, and they may trap dust.
- Laser surgery. Using eyeglasses could end up being challenging, and laser surgery is one of the solutions. Those who have a passion for welding could consider eye surgery under the doctor’s guidance.
- Prescription safety glasses _ there are prescription glasses that contain side shields. You can wear a welding helmet over these safety glasses.
- Shade- the safety glasses range from 2-14. The level of protection increases as the number rises. Some welding processes produce high light that may damage the eyes if not protected. A special dark filter enhances the ability to see the welding arc and protect your eyes. Looking at the job at hand and creating a solid weld may result in inconvenience. The auto-darkening welding glasses are the best option when welding.
- Dust protection- grinding and cutting environment required special safety glasses. . They produce more dust than the other welding processes; thus, you should protect your eyes
- Anti-fog coating – at times, condensation occurs in some welding environments. If you are in such an easy, you need to choose the safety welding glasses with anti-fog coating.
- Impact résistance- for resistance, you need polycarbonate lenses. They protect those working indoors from sparks, splashes and flying particles. However, it all depends on the type of person you are. The googles can only protect the eyes, while safety sunglasses contain side shields that prevent the flying particles from damaging your eyes.
- Sizing and fitting- The particles do not fly directly to your eyes. Therefore the side shields are important since they prevent the dangerous particles from getting into your eyes. It would help if you also considered how you feel when wearing the safety glasses. Thus you should check the weight and the comfort provided when wearing them. Below are the things you should look at
- Ensure the safety glasses fit over the temples comfortable over the ears. the frame should be close to your face; hence glasses will be protected by the bridge of the nose.
- The welder should be able to see all the direction without any obstruction.
- Make sure the safety glasses fit the welder properly. They should cover from the eyebrow to the cheekbone. The safety glasses should also close from the nose to the bony area outside the face and eyes.
- Care- one should not change or modify the protective device of the auto-darkening sunglasses
- Replace the broken or bent devices immediately. The damaged devices may affect the functionality of the safety glasses.
- You should replace the broken parts with identical parts from the manufacturer.
- The storage of the safety glasses should be clean and dry. The place also is far away from children’s reach.
- Avoid handing the safety glasses with rough material since you may damage the lenses.
- brtEnsure thorough cleaning of the safety glasses to enhance functionality
- Ensure proper maintenance is observed.
One should not use the safety glasses, the primary source of protection when welding, since there are other options for those who need corrective lenses. Before making your final decision on the safety glasses to use when welding, you should consider the best options for your needs.
factors to consider when buying safety glasses
The eyewear protects the welders if it covers the eye and the surrounding soft tissues. A program meant to help users find the best sunglasses includes selection, fit testing, training, and inspection.
The article has provided you with the detail on how to protect eyes during the welding process. Now you can easily choose the best welding sunglasses that fits your working environment. The safety glasses should have an auto-darkening future to detect dust particles and light. The auto-darkening end also saves time and enhances convenience.