Are you curious to find out exactly what is a brushless lawn mower?
There are many different kinds of lawnmowers of various shapes and sizes, and all do the same thing: mow grass.
However, some types make way too much racket that annoys everyone in the neighborhood. If you have one of those, you might wish it was a little quieter and not cause migraines for everyone within earshot.
A brushless lawnmower is a solution to your problem, which enables you to work efficiently and does not have a loud and irritating sound like other mowers.
What is a brushless lawnmower, and how does it work?
A brushless lawnmower is a type of mower that has a brushless electric motor that can automatically adjust itself to the power needed for the mowing task.
It has a magnetized rotor and coils inside, which means electricity is not needed in the moving components in its motor.
The motor of a brushless lawnmower will also increase its battery efficiency, thus necessitating less maintenance and making it more durable.
As a result, brushes are not necessary, thus enabling less heat, noise, and energy from friction. It will allow for better power, performance, and less noise coming out of the motor.
This mower’s smart motor technology can also detect if less endurance is needed and provide less power output. If it determines that it needs more energy, it can power up on its own to handle the load.
What are the pros and cons of a brushless lawnmower?
Pros of brushless lawnmowers
- As mentioned earlier, its primary feature is its ability to mow quietly due to its brushless motor technology. It allows you to mow any time of the day in any grassy area, even in places where constant silence is a must.
Always check its components responsible for its soundlessness, like its motor and rotating blade, and make sure they are properly maintained so it can always operate silently.
- It has a longer lifespan compared to other types of lawnmowers since there are no brushes that wear out.
- Compared to other types, it does not overheat quickly, since the coils are situated outside the motor that easily cools down.
- As mentioned, it has smart and sophisticated electronic motor technology. Some brands can adjust their motor settings based on what is needed.
for instance, if it is mowing small grass, it will slow itself down and if the grass is thick, the speed will increase.
- Despite its sophisticated power output, its engine has a simpler design compared to a brushed motor since it does away with the complexity of power transference from outside the engine towards the rotating blades.
- It is more powerful compared to other mower types. It can do bigger and heavier mowing jobs without slacking.
Its power is the result of the coil located outside and can be remade to become larger.
- It needs less maintenance since there are no brushes to clean or wear out and replace.
- It is more efficient and has an eighty-five to ninety efficiency.
- Its battery optimization is better, which enables it to mow larger lawns. There no energy is lost between the stator and the rotor blades, thus enabling more efficient energy usage.
With no rubbing during extreme conditions, it can function more productively.
- It is environmentally-friendly since it generates less heat.
- It does not overheat since it has a smart motor that adjusts itself from whatever terrain it approaches.
Cons of brushless lawnmowers
- It is more expensive compared to a brushed lawnmower. It has a smart motor with an electronic controller and encoder, which looks and functions like a small computer. Thus, increasing its costliness.
- Its motor has complex wiring compared to a brushed motors and cannot be fastened to DC power due to its electromagnetic link and power control crisis.
- Its engine tends to vibrate when operating at low speeds, but will lessen at higher speeds.
- Some resonance can occur due to its power frequency that sometimes gets close to the natural vibration frequency of the other components.
- It has complex parts like motor speed controllers, which means it is prone to malfunction. However, newer brushless models are more reliable and do not malfunction as much.
Which is better, brushless lawnmowers or brushed lawnmowers?
Here are the features of the two lawnmower types compared to each other as enumerated below:
Brushless lawnmower features
- It has an efficiency of about eighty to ninety percent
- It has less friction in the motor
- It will overheat less rapidly and its motor management electronics has a built in functionality to lessen this issue
- Due to its sophisticated motor management, they are a bit more costly
- It does not need much maintenance
Brushed lawnmower features
- It has an efficiency about sixty to seventy percent
- It has more friction in the motor
- Its engine overheats more rapidly
- It is cheaper since its motor is less complex
- It needs more maintenance
As you can see, the brushless lawnmower is more advantageous and wins four out of five. The only advantage of the brushed is the cheaper cost.
Is a brushless lawnmower worth the higher cost?
Yes, a brushless lawnmower is worth the higher price, if you base it on all its features and advantages.
Its type of battery is also more potent since its copper windings are situated at the border of the motor shape and have more room for enlargement. In addition, they are frictionless and have no voltage drop.
All in all, from its powerful batteries and many features, a brushless motor is worthy of its higher cost.
What is the lifespan of a brushless motor?
Based on everything above, a brushless motor is better in every way possible compared to a brushed motor. However, does it make it more durable and long-lasting?
Both last around the same duration under similar conditions, but a brushed lawnmower has a slight edge. A typical brushed motor has a lifespan of about one thousand to three thousand hours, and the longest a brushless motor can last more than ten thousand hours.
What are the lawnmower safety tips?
Read the manual and take note of its salient points
It may not be exciting to read, but you must if you want to be an effective lawnmower user.
And perhaps the manual might be lost or misplaced. However, as long as you know the model number, you can search for it online and read or even watch a video about it.
Preparing the area for mowing
Before each mowing task, walk through the entire area to check and throw away large rocks and other debris that can potentially damage the mower.
Wear appropriate clothing
Wear the proper footwear, not sandals or bare feet, so that they would not be injured by thrown debris.
Also, wear long pants to protect your legs and goggles for your eyes.
Having the right people to operate the mower
Experts recommend children under sixteen should not operate any lawnmowers. Also, never let any passengers ride along as they might fall and be run over.
Keep people away from the mowing area
There are projectile elements on an area to be mowed, like stones and branches that will be ejected everywhere, so keep children and other people away.
Watch out from the mower’s spinning blades and the machine
Keep your hands, feet, fingers, toes, and clothing away from the machine and rotor blades to avoid injury.
Keep watch of the mower’s stored energy
Many motorized garden equipment like lawnmowers can store energy in the drive mechanism.
Watch out if your lawnmower or any similar equipment abruptly stalls and jams, since the machine might have stored tension.
Do not try to look for the source, and it might suddenly move again your fingers might get caught.
When this happens, switch off the motor first and check on the reason why the engine is jamming or stalling.
Is learning about what is a brushless lawn mower useful information?
After learning about every essential detail about brushless lawnmowers, you get the picture of how awesome they are.
It is also quite practicable in neighborhoods or places where people treasure their silence, and loud noises are frowned upon.
If you can afford to buy a brushless lawnmower, get it now and marvel at its many features.